Fleas are very hungry blood-feeders which can consume up to 15 times of their body weight. Once your pet gets infested by fleas, it can cause a lot of trouble because it is pretty much sure that there are fleas living in your home.
Here is a fact about fleas. It is not true that fleas can only jump off from one pet to another pet.
It actually has an ability to jump vertically up to 6 inches. Adult fleas can easily get into our pets without noticing it, even in our shoes, clothes, carpets, sofa and even on your bed.
Adult fleas are commonly seen on the fur of your lovely pet like dog and cat. Once your pet gets infested by fleas, in a matter of one minute the fleas start to feed already. And just after 24 hours, it can lay 40-50 eggs and stay in the fur. As your pet litter around in your house, the eggs keep on falling off into your carpet, beds and everywhere.
That is why treating your pet as well as your home is an essential thing to do in getting rid of fleas at home.
How can you tell if your house has fleas?
Fleas are small but noticeable. It can be seen in your pets or on your carpets. Here’s what to do to see if your home has fleas.
- Check your pets. You can see a small black salt or pepper like in the fur of your four-legged friend.
- Pet beddings. The most common place where you can find fleas. It can be seen crawling, hopping or jumping in your pet beddings.
- Carpeted areas. Stand on your carpet while wearing a white socks. If there are fleas around, it will hop into your socks.
How do I deflea my house?
Fleas that are in your pet are just 5 percent of the total fleas in your home. Without you knowing, the fleas are all over your house now. Flea eggs, larvae and flea cocoons can’t be easily rid of. Not only your pet is at risk, it is your whole family as well.
Here are simple steps you need to follow.
- Treat your pet. Lot of treatment products for fleas can be seen online but it is much safer if you go to the trusted vet in your area to get your pet a proper treatment.
- Regular cleaning. Vacuuming your carpet, cushion and mattress can get off the flea eggs. However, you need to throw away the bag after vacuuming.
- Wash properly. Wash your pet beddings with hot water. Even your clothes, mattress and stuff toys must be washed with hot water.
- Call in the experts. The sooner the better.
Since the fleas are all over your house now even in your backyard it is necessary to call in the experts. Queanbeyan Pest Control have well trained specialists who can help you get rid of those fleas. Call us on 0488 404 885.
How long does it take to get rid of fleas in the house?
In most cases, it takes 3-4 months to get rid of a flea infestation. But it could also take 1-2 days of diligence to completely remove fleas from your house if DONE THE RIGHT WAY.
To avoid making the situation worse, it’s recommended that you get help from Queanbeyan pest services experts since they have the right skills, equipment and products to treat your home.
If you have pets, it is not guaranteed that fleas won’t be coming back since your pets tend to attract fleas over time. Once that happens and since fleas are known to be hitchhikers, it can easily attach into your carpets, beddings or even in your clothes.
You may feel free from fleas already but you must not feel at ease cause these pests are good at hiding – unless you’ve totally eradicated them from your property through a reliable Queanbeyan pest control service.
Can fleas live in your bed?
Fleas are looking for a comfy environment in which your beddings is a perfect place.
You wouldn’t want to have fleas hiding on the same bed where you sleep every night. Gross! It can actually make the transfer of fleas from your bed to your hair faster.
Adult fleas can lay eggs on your mattress. You may wonder where it hides. Actually, it is just between your bed sheets and pillow case. Even if we know that fleas host dogs and cats, it can still bite humans if they are hungry. Fleas have a biting habit which causes itchiness and swelling around the bitten area.
Your pet is the primary suspect in getting your bed infested by fleas. If you don’t have a pet at home, it is possible that your home had been infested before you moved in or even your neighborhood can be responsible for this.
What’s worse? Since we already know that fleas are a hitchhiker pest, it can really be all over your place now not only in your bed.
Can fleas live in human hair?
Fleas jumping into your hair is possible.
When you are cuddling your pet that is infested by fleas some can transfer into your hair because it has the capability to jump off 6 inches high.
For some reason fleas will bite and feed on humans. Even if they don’t like to live in human hair, they still end up getting there if there is no host around like pets. But you have nothing to worry because fleas cannot lay eggs on human hair. Our blood is not healthy for them to reproduce.
What can kill fleas instantly?
There are home remedies you can try to kill fleas instantly.
- Dish soap. You are actually creating a flea trap with water and dish soap.
- Baking soda. Can dehydrate the flea larvae and eggs which prevents hatching.
- Salt. Same with baking soda, it acts as a dehydration agent which kills flea larvae and eggs.
- Flea repelling plants. This is a natural remedy because there are some plants that have specific oils, chemicals and compounds which tend to be avoided by fleas.
- Herbal flea spray. Safe to use even with kids and pets at home.
Although there are home remedies you can try, it still pays off when you get a pest expert to help you rid your property of fleas in the right way.
Our pest control team only uses quality brands and environmentally-friendly pesticides to treat fleas. We assure you that everyone including your pets at home are safe with the treatments that we use to control pests.
Queanbeyan Pest Control can help your home prevent getting infected again. Call us on 0488 404 885.